Steffi Fritsche




For me, the most interesting subject at school has always been science. Doing experiments and learning about nature, life and environmental issues was so much easier for me than memorizing history for instance. Thus, I decided to study plant biotechnology at the Leibniz University in Hanover, Germany. The excellent mix of biology, biochemistry and genetics, as well as agricultural and horticultural science, which was offered at this university, perfectly met my expectations.
For my Bachelors and Masters I joined the lab of Juniorprof Dr Iris Szankowski to develop an in vitro regeneration and transformation system as well as a non-antibiotic PMI/mannose selection system for pear. After having completed my Masters, I started a PhD at the Plant Breeding Institute at the Christian-Albrechts University, Kiel in 2008. In my work I focused on the functional characterization of genes from the tocopherol pathway and candidate gene association studies of tocopherol content and composition in rapeseed (Brassica napus L.).
I joined the lab of Carl Douglas in mid-January 2013 in order to work in the POPCAN project and to start the validation of SNP-trait associations which have previously been identified in black cottonwood (Populus trichocarpa) genome-wide association studies (GWAS). I’m happy that I got the chance of going abroad and I am looking forward making new experiences.
Outside the lab I enjoy the beautiful nature and Vancouver city by hiking, running or skating.

Publications

2014 Fritsche, S., Wang, X., Nichelmann, L., Suppanz, I., Endrigkeit, J., Meng, J., and Jung, C. Genetic and functional analysis of tocopherol biosynthesis pathway genes in rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). Plant Breeding: 133 (4), 470–479, DOI: 10.1111/pbr.12190

2013 Bagheri H., El-Soda M., Kim H., Fritsche S., Jung C., and Aarts M.  Genetic analysis of health- related secondary metabolites in the new Brassica rapa recombinant inbred line population. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2013, 14(8), 15561-15577; doi:10.3390/ijms140815561

2012 Wang X., Zhang, C., Li, L., Fritsche. S., Endrigkeit,J., Zhang, W., Long, Y., Jung, C., Meng, J.  Unraveling the genetic basis of seed tocopherol content and composition in rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). PLoS ONE 7(11): e50038. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0050038

2012 Fritsche, S., Wang, X., Li, J., Stich, B., Kopisch-Obuch, F., J. , Endrigkeit, J., Leckband, G., Dreyer, F., Friedt, W., Meng, J., and Jung, C. (2012). A candidate gene-based association study of tocopherol content and acomposition in rapeseed (Brassica napus). Front. Plant Sci., 26 June 2012 | doi: 10.3389/fpls.2012.00129.

Presentations
2012  Fritsche S. et al: „A candidate-gene association analysis for tocopherol content and composition in rapeseed (Brassica napus)”. Poster, Conference "Breeding crops for sustainable agricultural production" of the German Society for Plant Breeding, Giessen, 2012,
2012  Fritsche S. et al: „A candidate-gene association analysis for tocopherol content and composition in rapeseed (Brassica napus)”, Poster, PAG XX, San Diego
2011  Fritsche S.et al: „A candidate-gene association study of Brassica napus tocopherol content and composition”, Lecture, 13. International Rapeseed Congress, Prague,
2007   Szankowski I. and Fritsche S.: „Versuche zur Regeneration und Transformation von drei Birnensorten (Pyrus communis)“, Poster, DGG Conference 2007
2006   Rühmann, S., D. Treutter, Fritsche S. and I. Szankowski: „Piceid (resveratrol glucoside) synthesis in stilbene synthase transgenic apple fruit“, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54: 4633-4640
2006  Szankowski I. and Fritsche S.: „Expression einer Stilbensynthase in transgenen Apfelfrüchten“,Poster, DGG-Conference 2006